Oil slick in California – level 2
An underground pipeline suddenly burst on Tuesday morning, and as much as 397 cubic metres of oil gushed into the sea.
The oil blackened a 4-mile beach in California and left two oil slicks in the water. Clean-up crews worked all day and all night for three days to remove the oil.
The company responsible for the pipeline publicly apologised. People are now investigating the incident.
Difficult words: burst (to break open), gush (to flow in large quantity), oil slick (when oil sits on water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Does something like this make you worry about the planet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.