Oil Spill in Indonesia – level 3
An oil spill in the Indonesian port city of Balikpapan killed four people and spread to an area of around 18 square kilometres. One person is missing.
Residents complained of a strong smell of fuel in the area and hundreds have reported health issues such as nausea and vomiting. The government distributed over 1,300 masks among people.
The disaster has affected sea life and fishermen held a protest at the mayor’s office, demanding compensation as their boats have been damaged and they cannot reach their fishing grounds.
People are investigating the source of the oil leak and the level of damage.
Difficult words: nausea (a feeling of sickness with a likelihood to vomit), distribute (give out), demand (to strongly ask for something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos