Old Woman Learns to Read – level 2
This news is about an 84-year-old woman from the UK. Her name is Ursula and she left school in 1944 unable to read. She had no time to learn to read because she had to look after her ill parents.
Ursula felt sad that she could not read the papers or books like other people. She decided to learn to read now, in her 80s. She hopes that she can inspire other people to read too.
Difficult words: unable (not able; if you are able to do something, you can do it), inspire (motivate, help, make do something good).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.