Old wreck is found – level 2
People found the wreckage of a ship in Columbian waters. The ship was Spanish and it sank in 1708. Around 600 people died in the shipwreck.
People think that thousands of emeralds, gold and silver coins are in the wreckage. So far, however, sonar only showed us the bronze cannons in the ship. Excavation and scientific tests on the wreck will continue.
We do not know if people will bring parts of the wreckage to dry land.
Difficult words: wreckage (parts of something destroyed), emerald (a bright green stone), sonar (a machine that finds things under the water), excavation (digging, looking for things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this shipwreck?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos