Oldest Lollipop Lady – level 1
This news is from England. It is about Margaret Cattle. She works as a lollipop lady. Her first day at work is in 1972. On the first day, she is nervous. It is her first time doing this.
She does the job for 45 years. People and children like her. She always says hello. She always gives them a smile. Most importantly, she keeps people safe. No one gets hurt on her crossing.
Margaret is old now. Her doctor tells her to stop working, so she does.
Difficult words: lollipop lady (a woman who helps children cross a road near a school safely), most importantly (what is most important; especially), crossing (an area where you can go across the road).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.