Oldest Lollipop Lady – level 3
Margaret Cattle has patrolled a crossing in England for 4.5 decades, making her the longest-serving lollipop lady.
She explained how nervous she was on her first day, as she had never done it before. People say that she is really nice and makes them feel secure. Indeed, no one ever got hurt on her crossing.
She is proud of her achievement and is going to miss everybody, but under doctor’s orders she has decided to retire.
Difficult words: patrol (watch over), lollipop lady (a woman who helps children cross a road near a school safely), indeed (truly; in fact).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.