Olive oil is expensive – level 1
If you want to make a Pizza Margherita at home in Italy, it costs a lot of money. It costs more than last month. And why?
Spain is the biggest producer of olive oil in the world. This year, it rains a little in Spain. Olive oil becomes more expensive. Shops in Italy sell Spanish olive oil. Therefore, Italian pizza is more expensive.
It will cost you 13.5% more to make a pizza than in July. But prices of other things go up only by 5.9%.
In Italy, electricity is cheaper than in July. But prices of flour, mozzarella, and tomatoes go up.
Difficult words: producer (a company or country which makes a product to sell), expensive (when something costs a lot of money), flour (a white substance which people use to make bread, pasta, and other things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the other factors that contribute to the increase in the cost of pizza ingredients?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.