Olympic Athletes Age – level 2
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) moved the Olympic Games to summer 2021. Around 6,500 athletes already qualified for the 2020 Olympics, and the IOC said that these athletes can keep their spot.
However, some athletes will be too old to compete next year. The IOC said that sports federations can decide if they are going to raise the age limit so that these athletes can compete next year, too. Also, there are some athletes who meet the qualification limits, but they are too young to compete this year. Sports federations will decide if these athletes can take part in the 2021 Olympics.
The IOC said that the health of the athletes is the most important thing, and that all athletes and teams must have a fair chance to qualify for the 2021 Olympics.
Difficult words: qualify (when a person can take part in a competition because he reached the goals to be in the competition), spot (a place), sports federation (an organization that looks after athletes and teams and that plans competitions and games).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.