Olympic Games in Brazil – level 2
Brazil celebrated its natural beauty, history and culture at the Olympic Games’ opening ceremony in Rio de Janeiro last Friday. Three billion people across the world watched the first Olympic Games in South America.
Outside the stadium, though, people protested against corruption and overspending on the games. The Rio 2016 committee did not say how much the ceremony cost, but people believe that it was about 21 million dollars. That is about half of what London spent in 2012.
Difficult words: overspending (spending too much money), committee (a group of people who take care of something important).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.