Operation Changes Her Life – level 2
A medical team in the US did an operation that changed the life of a baby. Dominique was born with four legs and two spines. They were parts of a twin.
The twin was connected to the back of Dominique’s neck. There were legs that moved and feet that came out of the back of her neck. This was extremely dangerous for the baby.
Thanks to the hard work of a medical team, she got a new chance at life. One of the doctors said that the operation was very difficult. The most critical part was the connection of the two spines. After that, the doctors knew that the operation would be successful.
Dominique left the hospital five days after the surgery. She is now in the care of an American foster family. People expect that she can live a full and normal life now.
Difficult words: spine (the line of bones down the centre of the back), foster family (people who are not a natural family, but look after the baby).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos