Operation Changes Her Life – level 3
A medical team in the US has done a life-changing surgery on a baby. Dominique was born with four legs and two spines, which were the remains of an underdeveloped twin.
The twin was attached to the back of Dominique’s neck. There were functional legs that moved and feet coming out of the back of her neck. This made life extremely dangerous for the baby.
Thanks to the efforts of a strong medical team, she got a new chance for life. One of the members of the medical team said that the surgery was very difficult. The most critical part was the junction of the two spines. Once the doctors had control of that, they knew that the surgery would be finished successfully.
Five days after the surgery, doctors released Dominique. She is now in the care of an American foster family. People expect her to live a full and normal life.
Difficult words: spine (the line of bones down the centre of the back), junction (a connection), release (let go), foster family (people who are not a natural family, but look after the baby).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.