Opioids and Laws – level 1
Some companies who make drugs want to end lawsuits against opioids. Opioids are strong drugs that people are addicted to.
Drug makers want to make a deal with US states and local governments to pay $50 billion dollars. The deal can help with costs from the opioid epidemic like health protection, police help, and addiction help.
The companies want to make this deal within next week. In Ohio, there is going to be the first lawsuit on opioids. Otherwise, the companies go to court.
There are more than 2,000 lawsuits against drug makers because of opioids. In the US, 400,000 people die because of these drugs.
Difficult words: lawsuit (when people go to court to decide something), deal (an agreement entered between two or more people or groups), epidemic (a serious sickness that many people get at one time), addict, addiction (a person who is an addict has to do something and cannot stop; an addiction is the thing that the person has to do such as use drugs).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.