Opioids and Laws – level 2
Opioids are strong drugs that many people are addicted to. The US, local governments, and US states are working with drug makers and opioid makers to close thousands of lawsuits.
Many opioid makers are closing a deal of $50 billion dollars with local governments. The agreement would free these companies from the accusations of being responsible for the serious situation with opioids. The $50 billion deal would pay for costs from the opioid epidemic, including health assistance, emergency cases, and addiction care.
The companies are trying to close before the first trial in Ohio on opioids begins next week. They do not want to go to court. People say that the opioid problems caused about 400,000 deaths in the US.
Difficult words: accusation (when someone says that you do something), epidemic (a serious sickness that affects many people), trial (the determination of a person’s guilt or innocence through law).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos