Orcas in Russia – level 2
Ice trapped four orcas in the far east of Russia. Rescue workers took a small boat to reach the whales that were between 50 to 100 metres from the coastline.
They then had to move the ice to create gaps the whales could swim through. It took a few hours, but they managed to get three of the whales, including one calf, to freedom.
The rescuers stayed with the fourth orca, protecting it from the ice, until higher waters allowed it to join the others.
Difficult words: orca (a big, black and white toothed whale), trapped (not able to move), calf (a young animal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Who was the rescuer who freed the four orcas in Russia in July of 2023?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos