Oscar Pistorius leaves prison – level 2
South African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius spent nearly 11 years in prison for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
He left prison and is officially on parole. Parole means that a prisoner leaves the prison but he or she must follow strict rules.
Pistorius, nicknamed the ‘Blade Runner’ due to his prosthetic legs, said that he shot Steenkamp by mistake, because he thought that there was someone in their flat. The judge didn’t believe him. Pistorius spent around eight and a half years in jail and seven months under house arrest.
Pistorius, who is now 37, will be monitored until December 2029 and he will take part in anger management therapy and gender-based violence sessions.
Difficult words: prosthetic (a new body part which you get after an injury or accident), anger management therapy (meetings with a professional which help a person understand why he or she is angry and learn to react differently), gender-based violence sessions (meetings during which a person learns to understand that it is not okay when a man behaves badly to women or vice versa).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What steps is Oscar Pistorius required to take as a condition of his parole?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.