Oscar Pistorius leaves prison – level 3
Former South African Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius has been released on parole almost 11 years after the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Pistorius, known as the ‘Blade Runner’ for his prosthetic legs, shot Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day in 2013, claiming he mistook her for an intruder. Repeated appeals against his conviction were based on this defense. Despite spending about eight and a half years in jail and seven months under house arrest, Pistorius was granted parole by a board in November. The Steenkamp family expressed their grief, emphasizing the irreplaceable loss of Reeva.
Pistorius is now a parolee and must be monitored until his sentence concludes in December 2029. He is required to undergo anger management therapy and participate in gender-based violence sessions as part of his parole conditions.
Difficult words: parole (the release of a prisoner before the completion of their sentence, subject to certain conditions), conviction (the act of officially being found guilty of a particular crime), parolee (the person who is released from prison on parole).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What conditions does Oscar Pistorius have to fulfill as a parolee until his sentence concludes?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.