Oxygen on Mars – level 1
NASA’s Perseverance rover lands on Mars in 2021. It carries a small device. The device is called MOXIE.
No oxygen is on Mars. Future astronauts need oxygen to breathe. MOXIE has a special job. It makes oxygen out of carbon dioxide. MOXIE makes 5.6 grams of oxygen in one hour. It is not very much. A small tree makes as much oxygen. Astronauts will need tons of oxygen. MOXIE must make a lot of oxygen.
People can bring oxygen from Earth. Sadly, it costs too much money. Also, it is not possible to do it for a long time.
Difficult words: device (a small object or machine which does a specific job), oxygen (a gas which people need to breathe to live), carbon dioxide (a gas which is a part of air, and plants change it to oxygen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.