Oxygen on Mars – level 2
When NASA’s Perseverance rover landed on Mars in 2021, it carried a device called MOXIE.
MOXIE is a small engine which can make oxygen out of carbon dioxide. When astronauts are on Mars in the future, they will need oxygen to breathe. It is possible to bring oxygen from Earth, but it would be too expensive and not sustainable.
MOXIE is currently working on Mars in different Martian seasons and parts of the day. It can make 5.6 grams of oxygen an hour. This amount is the same which a small tree makes. Scientists hope that one day, MOXIE will make much more oxygen. Astronauts will need 25 tons of oxygen to lift off from Mars.
Difficult words: rover (a vehicle to drive in difficult terrain), carbon dioxide (a colorless gas which is a part of air), sustainable (something that can continue for a long time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos