Panda in Washington – level 3
Bei Bei, possibly the cutest name we have ever heard, and, well, it couldn’t suit this little one any more. This is Washington’s National Zoo’s latest panda cub Bei Bei making his public debut to the excitement of adoring fans.
Nearly five-month old Bei Bei, which means “precious treasure” in Mandarin Chinese, was treated like a rock star as zoo-goers lined up anxiously with hopes of catching a glimpse of the baby panda. The cutie is one of the top tourist draws in the US capital.
The panda exhibit has been closed to the public since the birth in order to give the mother and cub time to bond. Aw!
What appeared to be hundreds of visitors, some dressed in panda costumes, lined up outside the zoo for viewing. They could be heard cheering and shrieking with excitement when doors opened. And if you’re panda-mad, you can even watch Bei Bei via the zoo’s online Giant Panda Cam.
Difficult words: debut (first public appearance), cub (a young animal like a panda), adore (to love something), precious (very important), treasure (a much loved person/animal), glimpse (a quick look), cutie (something cute – beautiful), draw (an attraction), bond (to form a relationship), shriek (to make a loud, high-pitched yell).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.