Paris and COVID pass – level 3
Protesters marched in Paris, France, for the 9th straight weekend, protesting France’s government-mandated health pass that is required to enter cinemas, restaurants, gyms, and museums.
The government introduced the measure to slow the spread of COVID-19; however, protesters repeatedly said that the system unfairly restricted the unvaccinated. Under the COVID pass system, introduced in stages since mid-July, anyone wishing to enter a restaurant, theater, cinema, long-distance train, or large shopping center must show proof of vaccination or a negative test.
The government insists that the pass is necessary to encourage more vaccinations and to avoid a fourth national lockdown, with the unvaccinated accounting for most of the COVID-19 patients in hospital.
More than 250,000 people marched on previous weekends, claiming that the vaccine wasn’t the solution. Some people refused to get their children vaccinated just days before the start of the new school year. An 11-year-old boy who marched with his father said that he wasn’t a laboratory rat.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.