Paris Deal – level 3
Five years ago, the world reached a historic deal with 195 countries signing the Paris Climate Agreement.
For the first time, there was a global agreement that truly addressed the importance of climate change. However, the agreement was deemed weak because it was all voluntary. If a country set a goal and didn´t meet it, there was no punishment. If a country left the agreement, no one could stop the country from leaving.
However, the agreement´s weakness is also its strength. It was attractive to so many different parts of the economy that hundreds of companies are going to zero out emissions by 2050.
In the last 18 months, seven of the ten largest economies in the world have set goals to reach net zero emissions. Acting on climate change isn´t only morally right, it´s also the financially wise choice as investors and businesses focus on renewable energy sources and green technologies.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.