Paris e-scooters ban – level 2
In 2018, Paris became one of the first cities to introduce e-scooters. But some people say that the scooters do more harm than good.
Critics of the battery-powered vehicles say that they get involved in many accidents. Riders often go at high speed, they move through traffic and often they don’t wear helmets. In Paris, children as young as 12 can legally hire the scooter through a phone app.
The rising number of accidents which involved e-scooters led to a referendum on banning e-scooters. The referendum took place last week and 90% of voters voted against the scooters. But only 8% of eligible voters voted, which means that the referendum has no legal power. It is up to officials how they will deal with the result.
Difficult words: involve (to have something as a part), referendum (a vote in which all the people in a country or area give their opinion on something), eligible (when someone has the right to do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of introducing e-scooters in cities?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.