Paris saves energy – level 2
The capital of France, Paris, is trying to save energy. Officials announced that they would switch off the Eiffel Tower’s lights earlier than usual.
The Eiffel Tower is one of the most popular monuments in the world, and millions of tourists visit it every year. The last visitors leave the tower at 11:45 PM, but the lights on the tower shine until 1 AM. At midnight, 20,000 bulbs twinkle on the tower for five minutes.
Officials want to switch of the lights when people leave, so the tower will not twinkle anymore. The night lights take 4% of the energy which the tower uses in one year. In the current energy crisis, less lightning of monuments is important.
The city also plans to lower the temperature in pools and public buildings.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.