Party and Police – level 2
On Wednesday night, there was a street party in Brixton, South London. The party was not legal; however, it was very calm. People had a barbecue, and they played music.
After some time, residents called the police, and they complained about the noise. Police officers tried to stop the party, and they asked people to leave. Many people left when the music stopped; however, some people became violent.
The officers were not able to control the crowd. People attacked the officers, and they injured twenty-two of them. They also damaged the officers’ cars.
Four people ended up in hospital, and the officers arrested four people.
Difficult words: legal (when officials allow something), resident (the person who lives in an area), arrest (when the police put someone in prison).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos