Party at a Religious Place – level 2
Palestinian DJ Sama Abdul-Hadi performed at a religious place called Nabi Musa. Nabi Musa is a shrine and mosque where people normally go to pray, not to party.
People built Nabi Musa in the 12th century and many people believe that there are relics there from the Prophet Moses.
The DJ filmed at the shrine, which made some people very angry. The DJ’s brother said that they asked the ministry of tourism, and officials said that the concert could take place in Nabi Musa. Police arrested the DJ last week after the performance, and she will stay with the police for more than 15 days.
There was an online petition and people asked police to release the DJ.
Difficult words: shrine (a religious place), relics (parts of a body of a religious person which people keep to show respect for the dead person), release (to set somebody free).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos