Party at a Religious Place – level 3
Palestinian techno DJ Sama Abdul-Hadi has been detained for holding a gig at an ancient Nabi Musa shrine. The shrine is believed to be the burial place of the Prophet Moses, and it dates back to the 12th century.
The DJ was arrested last week following the performance at the shrine which is also a mosque and Palestinians visit it to pray. A group of men entered the site, disrupted the performance, and drove out the attendees. The event sparked debate on social media, and it led to an investigation with the ministry of tourism looking into the matter. Some people expressed anger at the DJ for filming at an important religious site; however, according to her brother, they had permission to be there.
An online petition has been launched demanding the release of the DJ whose detention Palestinian police extended by 15 days.
Difficult words: gig (a live performance), shrine (a holy place that is dedicated to a saint person), petition (a formal document that is signed by a lot of people who make a request to an authority or government).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos