Party in Rio – level 1
In Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, the Carnival is very famous. People organise it every year. It is very big. Millions of people come there.
A week before the festival, it is not quiet in Rio. Thousands of people go to the streets. They wear costumes. Some costumes are traditional and others are modern. One man dresses as Wonder Woman. A group of people dress up as the Minions.
The Olympic Games will be in Brazil. People are also happy about it.
Difficult words: costume (special clothes which you wear at a special event), traditional (old and typical for the country), will (“in the future”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like events like the Carnival?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.