Party in Rio – level 2
The Carnival in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil is a world famous festival. People hold it every year and it is the biggest and most colourful carnival in the world. It always attracts millions of people.
People say that it is quiet before the storm, but that is not true for the Carnival. A week before the carnival, thousands of people came to the streets of Rio. Some wore traditional costumes, but you could also see a man dressed as Wonder Woman, and people dressed as the Minions.
One lady said that Brazilians are very happy because they are hosting the Olympic Games, and the Carnival helps get them into the spirit of celebrating.
Difficult words: attract (to want to get something or to want to go somewhere), costume (special clothes which you wear at a special event), spirit (a mood, a feeling).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like events like the Carnival?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.