Pavement generates electricity – level 2
People installed kinetic paving slabs around an area in London. These slabs generate energy from people’s footsteps as they walk over them.
The electricity can be stored in batteries, or it can power a street light, for example. One of the installations powers two streetlights in the heart of the financial district.
This new technology can also send wireless data, using the energy from footsteps. People already installed the tiles in many other locations worldwide.
Difficult words: kinetic (relating to motion), paving slab (something flat and thick which people can step on), district (an area of a city), tile (a thin slab).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this technology?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.