Penguin is getting fat – level 1
This news is about a penguin. He is from New Zealand. People find him on a beach. He is hungry. He is in a bad condition.
People take him to a zoo. The penguin gets better.
Penguins must change their feathers. First, they let the old feathers go. Then, new feathers can grow. They are without feathers for 2-3 weeks.
This is a problem for penguins. They cannot fish without feathers. They must prepare for the moulting season. They must eat a lot of food before it.
The penguin in New Zealand is 3.3 kilograms heavy. Every day, he eats 1.2 kilograms of fish. He must be 5.5 kilograms heavy.
Difficult words: condition (a situation of the body), feathers (birds have may feathers; these are light things which grow from their skin), moulting season (the time when birds lose their feathers).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do penguins live in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos