Penguin is getting fat – level 3
As Munro the penguin bulks up for moulting season, staff at Taronga Zoo check his weight.
When penguins shed their feathers, they can’t fish for food, so it’s important they prepare for the annual moulting season by building up fat reserves. Munro weighs in at 3.3 kilograms before gulping down his reward.
He won’t look so trim when he starts the moulting process, consuming 1.2 kilograms of fish each day until he reaches 5.5 kilograms. Penguins aren’t waterproof when they moult, so they stay on land for 2-3 weeks until new feathers emerge from below the skin.
This week’s weigh-in also meant Munro could take a stroll through the zoo.
Fjordland penguins are listed as a vulnerable species and are only found in the wet coastal rainforests of New Zealand’s Fjordland and Stewart Islands.
Munro came to Taronga Zoo 9 years ago. He’d washed up near Norah Heads suffering from malnutrition after an epic 2,000-kilometre swim across the sub-Antarctic waters.
Difficult words: bulk up (to get bigger), moult (to shed feathers), shed to (lose), annual (happening every year), gulp (to eat), trim (slim), stroll (to walk calmly), vulnerable species (animals which may die out soon), malnutrition (not having enough food), epic (long and amazing).
Do penguins live in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.