People burn buses – level 3
In central Brazil, protesters burned buses, demanding better transportation services for the city of Goiania. The bus company Metrobus confirmed at least six of its buses were completely burnt out. Nine others were damaged by vandals who hurled rocks and other objects at the vehicles to smash windows.
Thick, black smoke rose up from the flaming buses, forcing the highway leading to the city to close for 6 hours.
A highway patrol officer described the attack as repulsive. Police in riot gear later joined them, struggling to keep the peace.
It’s estimated the damage could reach more than 2 million dollars.
Difficult words: demand (to want something), hurl (to throw), repulsive (extremely unpleasant, in a way that almost makes you feel sick), riot (a violent protest), gear (equipment), struggle (to try hard to do something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.