People Buy Bad Meat – level 2
Venezuela is experiencing its worst-ever economic down turn, and the city of Maracaibo has had no electricity for months.
One housewife said that there were about 16–18 hours without electricity a day during the week. Without electricity, people cannot keep their food cool in a fridge, and some shoppers buy spoiled meat.
One man at a market said that the meat was not good but he bought it anyway. He did not know what to do about the situation, so he left it to God. He said that the meat smelled bad, but he planned to wash it with a little vinegar and lemon.
Difficult words: experience (when you experience something, something happens to you), economic down turn (when the economy is bad – people have less money and do less business), spoiled (bad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos