People cannot care for pets – level 2
During the COVID-19 pandemic, people spent more time at home, and many of them got a dog or cat.
Now, people in the UK have problems because the pet care is too expensive. Food and vet bills cost more. Many pet owners are giving up the animals, and animal rescue centers are getting full.
Experts warn that a crisis will come. Millions of people may not have enough money for living. Charities hope someone will look after their animals.
Difficult words: vet (an animal doctor), animal rescue center (a place for animals which are ill or which someone can’t look after), crisis (a difficult or dangerous time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos