People cannot care for pets – level 3
The cost of the living crisis is worsening, leading some UK pet owners to give up their animals to save money.
UK’s famous Battersea charity is currently caring for hundreds of dogs and cats, and similar centers around the country say they’re receiving record inquiries for dog and cat returns.
Many owners say the additional cost of food and veterinary care isn’t manageable. One owner came to the charity to return a pregnant cat because he was no longer able to afford to care for the cat and her unborn kittens.
The trend follows a surge in demand for pets during the COVID-19 pandemic. UK households are dealing with a huge crisis in their energy bills, and experts warn a recession is going to come. Some charities warn it can put millions of people into poverty, and they hope that someone will be able to give the animals permanent homes.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.