People fight polio – level 3
Polio is a highly infectious disease caused by one of three polio virus types.
The virus reproduces in the human gastrointestinal tract. Infected people spread the virus in their feces; therefore, the virus spreads easily in areas without good sanitation and hygiene.
For years, humans have been close to eradicating polio; however, it’s very difficult because fewer than one in 100 infected people show signs of illness or are aware or the infection. They unintentionally give the virus to others.
A combination of old and new challenges is setting back the global fight. They include the war in Ukraine, floods in Pakistan, vaccine worries, and the COVID-19 pandemic. New polio outbreaks happened in Africa, and the disease paralyzed a man in the US.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has pledged 1.2 billion dollars to eradicate the disease, and humans hope that we will stop all polio by the end of 2023.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.