People Get to the Deepest Point on Earth – level 2
China’s deep-sea submarine reached the world record depth of 10,000 meters.
The manned submarine was on its way to the deepest point on Earth, the bottom of the Mariana Trench. It is 10,971 meters deep and it is located in the western Pacific Ocean. There are three men on the submarine, and they will explore the ocean floor. The crew uses robotic hands to get samples. They use high-quality cameras that livestream video back to the top of the ocean.
The submarine has very bright lights that make it possible to see in places that are completely dark. There is no light at this depth, so the submarine is a green color which makes it visible.
Difficult words: manned (a ship or vehicle that people control), robotic hand (a mechanical hand that a person controls and it works similarly to a human hand), sample (an object from somewhere, an example of something), livestream (to broadcast something at the moment when it is happening).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos