People help a flamingo – level 1
A flamingo lives at a zoo. This zoo is in Brazil. Something happens and the flamingo’s leg is broken. This is a problem. The leg can get infected. It must be cut off.
People cut off the leg, but they make the flamingo a new leg. It is 18 centimetres long. It is made from carbon fibre. Carbon fibre is a strong and light material.
The flamingo is learning to walk again. It is getting better and better. It can put the leg under its body. Flamingos do this normally.
Difficult words: flamingo (the pink bird in the picture), get infected (bad organisms can get into the leg and make the flamingo sick), normally (something normal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you happy to know that the animal is going to be fine? :-)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.