People help a man – level 3
Commuters in Australia teamed up this morning to help free a man whose leg was trapped between a train and a platform, by lining up alongside the carriage and pushing the train.
The man became stuck after he slipped and one leg became wedged in the gap, as he attempted to board a Stirling to Perth train.
In dramatic CCTV footage, commuters can be seen rushing to the man’s assistance and tipping the whole carriage in a bid to free him. Passengers were originally asked to move to one side of the carriage in order to transfer the weight of the train away from the man. Sadly, that plan failed, so passengers exited the train, lined up alongside the carriage and started pushing. An ambulance was called to the station but the man did not sustain any serious injuries.
Difficult words: commuter (person who travels a long distance to work), team up (to join to work on something together), carriage (train car), wedge (to force something into a narrow space), CCTV footage (security camera video), in a bid (in an attempt), sustain (to have).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.