People help a shark – level 3
A young great white shark was rescued from a sandbar in Cape Cod in Massachusetts.
People on the beach doused the shark with buckets of water until officials arrived. Witnesses told local media the shark got stuck in the sand after the seven-foot-long (2 metres) male tried to catch seagulls off the Chatham coast.
After tying a rope to its tail and carefully dragging it back to water, the harbourmaster guided it back out to sea.
Witnesses said the shark was stranded by the receding tide.
Curious bystanders applauded as officials managed to successfully release the shark back into the ocean.
Difficult words: sandbar (a long mass of sand in the water), douse (to cover something in water), drag (to pull), harbourmaster (a person who helps at the beach), stranded (to be stuck; unable to move), receding tide (when the water moves away).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.