People in a dirty river – level 1
Hindus are religious people in India. They celebrate the Chhat Puja festival last week. The festival celebrates the sun god Lord Surya. Hindus bathe in the Yamuna River. Bathe means you clean yourself for a religious event.
Sadly, the river is very dirty and dangerous. White foam is in the river. It is full of chemicals. The chemicals are bad for people’s skin and breathing. Some people say that they must bathe in the river. It is for the festival.
The Yamuna River is about 1,400 kilometers long. It flows into the religious Ganges River. It is one of the dirtiest rivers in India. Its water is dark and thick. People dump chemicals and all waste in it. It is full of plastic.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.