People in a dirty river – level 3
Hindu devotees in northern India celebrated the Chhath Puja festival by religiously bathing in the Yamuna River despite the thick toxic foam sitting on the water in some places.
On Wednesday, a layer of the toxic foam coated parts of the sacred river near India’s capital, as Hindus gathered at the river. The mixture of sewage and industrial waste formed over the last week, and the government sent 15 boats to remove the foam. However, Hindus walked through the foam to bathe and pray in the river, saying that they had no choice but to bathe in the polluted waters.
The foam contained high levels of ammonia and phosphates that can result in breathing and skin problems. The Yamuna River, a tributary to the holy Ganges River, flows about 1,400 kilometers south from the Himalaya Mountains through several states. For decades, people have dumped toxic chemicals and untreated sewage into the water. The river is the most polluted in areas around Delhi, as it appears dark and thick, while plastic waste lines its sides.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.