People in Assam, India – level 2
India is registering all the residents in the state of Assam. The Indian government says that it is doing this to identify undocumented immigrants in the state.
To be on the list, you have to prove that you or your family were already living in India in 1971. From the total of 31 million people in Assam, 2 million people are not on the list. They now have 120 days to prove that they are Indian.
The state of Assam is home to many immigrants from Bangladesh who are mostly Muslim. Hundreds of thousands of Bangladeshi immigrants came to India in 1971. Many people are afraid that the list is a tool to send them away from India, put them in prison, or persecute them.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.