People in Assam, India – level 3
The National Register of Citizens (or the NRC) accounts for all the residents of the Indian state of Assam.
The finalized registry is the result of a multi-year exercise to identify undocumented immigrants to the state, which is one of India’s poorest. The NRC just published its list and nearly 2 million people (from the total of almost 31 million) are not on it.
The state of Assam is home to many immigrants from Bangladesh who are mostly Muslim. Many people believe that the registry is a way to force Muslims out of the state. Activists fear that those who are not already on the list could face persecution, jail time or deportation. Right now, they have 120 days to prove their citizenship.
To get on the list, residents had to give proof that they or their ancestors had lived in India since before 1971. That is the year that hundreds of thousands of Bangladeshi immigrants fled to India after Bangladesh split from Pakistan.
Difficult words: persecution (being persecuted – oppressed, harassed), deportation (being deported – moved from a country even when you want to stay), ancestor (the people who came before you – your grandparents, great grandparents, etc.).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.