People in California do not have enough water – level 1
Mendocino, California, is a town on the west coast of the US.
This year is very dry. It does not rain much.
People in the town do not have enough water.
Restaurants and hotels close. They do not have water. Tourists cannot use the toilets. Some businesses buy water from special tanks. These tanks bring water from other cities. This water is expensive.
Other cities do not have much water, either. The situation is critical. Officials are thinking about how to solve it.
People hope that it will rain. Sadly, the forecast is bad. Some people say that the only thing that can help is a desalination plant. A desalination plant changes sea water into drinking water.
Difficult words: tank (a big container which holds something, usually water, petrol, or gas), critical (very serious and dangerous), forecast (when experts say what will probably happen in the future).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.