People in California do not have enough water – level 2
This year was very dry, and experts said that 40% of the US had a drought.
Mendocino, California, is a small town which lies near Lake Mendocino, one of the biggest water reservoirs in the area. Sadly, lakes are running out of water, and so local hotels and restaurants cannot be open. Tourists cannot use toilets because there is not enough water to flush them. The town is buying water from nearby cities, but the cities do not want to sell water anymore because they do not have enough, either.
The town´s officials must quickly find ways about how to solve the problem. They hope that there will be enough rain to fill the reservoirs, but the possibility of rain is bad. Some people say that it will be necessary to build a desalination plant which will turn sea water into drinking water. It will take a lot of time because there are no pipes to get sea water from the ocean to the town.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.