People in Fiji worry about their homes – level 1
People in Fiji have a big problem. Climate change makes sea water go up.
The water gets into people’s homes and gardens during high tide. People can’t grow anything. Their homes are destroyed.
People must decide what to do. Some people want to move away. Older people want to stay. They live in the village all their lives.
In 2014, one community moves away. Their move is the first time that people leave because sea water goes up. People still come back to their old village almost every day.
People in Fiji say that they don’t cause the climate change. They want money for new homes from bigger countries. They say that the countries add to climate change.
Difficult words: climate change (the changes in weather which come from nature and people), high tide (the time when the sea goes up), community (people who live in one small place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos