People in Fiji worry about their homes – level 2
People in Fiji are dealing with the rise of ocean levels because of climate change. Many of them must decide if they want to stay in their homeland or to move away.
When high tide happens, salt water comes into people’s homes and gardens. The water destroys homes and crops. Many old people still don’t want to leave. Many people in Fiji think that other large countries are responsible for climate change, and they should pay for their new homes.
In 2014, one village moved to a new place, but people still return to their old village almost every day. Fiji is the first country which moved a community because of sea level rise.
Difficult words: climate change (the changes in weather because of nature and people’s activity), high tide (the time when the sea is at its highest level), community (people who live in the same small place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos