People in New Zealand look for food – level 2
In 2010 and 2011, two big earthquakes destroyed more than 7,500 homes in Christchurch, the largest city in New Zealand’s South Island.
A part of the city became too dangerous to build new houses there. Empty streets and backyard gardens stayed, and fruit trees continued to grow fruit.
Inflation and prices increased very much in recent years, and people looked for ways to get cheap food. They turned to foraging, or going from place to place to find things which they could eat, and they discovered the wild gardens in Christchurch.
Many people started to enjoy this activity, since they could spend more time in nature, and they learned about what grew at what time of year. They said that wild fruit tasted better than the fruit from supermarkets.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.