People in North Korea must not laugh – level 2
North Korean leader Kim Jong-il died 10 years ago, and last week, there was a special ceremony to remember him.
His son and current leader of the country, Kim Jong-un, was at the ceremony, which happened in the capital city Pyongyang. It was in front of the Kumsusan Palace where the bodies of his father and grandfather still lay under glass, as people can see them. There was a ban on many things which lasted for 11 days. People could not drink alcohol, celebrate their own birthdays, or enjoy free time activities. They could not even laugh for the 11 days, and they could not buy food on the day when Kim Jong-il died.
The government controls all the newspapers, and many of them wrote articles about Kim Jong-un. They said that he was a powerful man who kept the country safe from US attacks.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.